The main research lines in Architecture Engineering are:
- A Process-Centered Research such as: Design Methodologies, Design Strategies, Design techniques, Digital Design, etc.
- A Designer or User-Centered Research such as: Design Thinking, Creativity and Cognition, etc.
- A Building-Centered Research such as: Building Typologies, Post-occupancy Evaluation Studies, etc.
- Design Education Research.
History and Theory of architecture
- Researches Approach in Theory of Architecture Deals with many topics; Changing Theories according to Architectural approaches that appeared in Architectural discourse during the last two centuries, the formal phenomena as a reflection of recent movements, the evolution of practicing Architecture, and identifying the causes, nature and pattern of these changes.
- The research on history and theory of architecture includes a wide range of fields related to architecture and its design and planning characteristics within ancient, historical, Islamic and contemporary periods and eras, It deals with all types of buildings, their styles, components, space organization, shapes of plans, and the relationship between Form and function, all aspects related to construction, and the quality of building materials and construction systems used, the nature and types of decoration and ornamentation, as well as the study of interior designs, outdoor spaces, and landscapes designs, and intellectual concepts reflected in the designs of each architectural period.
- Research in Landscape architecture involves the design, planning, management, and nurturing of the built and natural environments. Planting design, Landscape Ecology, Landscape Archaeology, Cultural Landscape, green infra structure, Urban open space
- Research in the theoretical aspects placed in interior design, what distinguishes interior design theory from architecture theory or design theory? Defining contemporary positions in interior design theory.
- Interior design research related to feminine materials or finishing and furniture materials, and what are their characteristics of those elements in the reflection of the spirit of the place and the identity of the space?
- Research in the theoretical frameworks of adaptation in interior design within the types of buildings that require little or limited structural changes to the current building
- Research in sustainability interior design, interior design is a multidisciplinary practice concerned with creating a set of interior environments that express the identity and spirit of a place through the manipulation of spatial size, and the placement of specific elements, such as furniture and surface treatment.
- Research in the internal architectural elements that affect human psychology and knowledge of behavior, and the level of awareness of the importance of this relationship is the primary preliminary factor, such as identity, privacy, safety impacts, health concerns, degree of accessibility.
- Study architecture that continues through time and extends for the longest possible period with an increase in the life span of the building at all levels, functionally and structurally.
- Reducing the use and waste of energy and other resources, with the necessity to make optimal use of what is available from them and build a healthy environment inside and outside the buildings according to correct considerations
- Recycling of materials and making use of self-help methods in building construction while preserving the aesthetics of the building from the inside and outside visually and functionally.
- Keeping up with technology and taking advantage of its opportunity
- Create a new generation of environmentally friendly and environmentally friendly buildings.
- The scientific approach covers theoretical studies that reflect different worldwide experiences, whether within the historical or modern urban fabric, their methods and techniques of dealing with them. While scientific studies work on utilizing the results of the basic theoretical topics in applied research to resolve specific real problems and by employing mechanisms, technologies and software specialized in this field, with seeking to develop the researcher's professional training skills.
Housing and Urban Planning
- This scientific approach deals in housing with research in the basic characteristics of local housing design, both in its theoretical aspect concerned with the structural, functional and formal properties of local housing and its contemporary development as an expressive part of the contemporary life cultural identity of the local community at the level of Iraq and the city, or in its practical aspect, which deals with the mechanisms of developing and evaluating the housing design reality locally within the fields that meet the various basic needs of housing and residents by appropriate employment of economic, social, psychological and environmental influences that drive residential design.
- In urban planning, researches focuses on the local planning characteristics, whether in their traditional characteristics or in their contemporary development within the various planning elements and components of the city.