The College of Medicine in Mosul ranks second among the medical schools in Iraq in terms of their age and size. It was established on July 14, 1959. In September of that same year students began enrolling. In its first year, the Ministry of Health undertook to manage its work independently. Later in 1960, the college joined the University of Baghdad and merged with it for seven consecutive years. Then on the first of April 1067, it became one of the colleges of the University of Mosul.
In the northern part of the city of Mosul and on the right bank of the Tigris River, where the main hospitals in the city, the college was built on a land estimated at (12500) square meters. The college campus consists of several buildings, including the offices of the dean and his assistants , administrative and other twelve medical branches of the Faculty. The other section occupies the basic science laboratories and halls for theoretical lectures, while the mosque, library, medical advisory center and restaurants (clubs) occupy the rest of the campus buildings.
During the period of ISIS terrorist control of Mosul, the infrastructure and superstructure of the buildings of the Faculty of Medicine of Mosul University were totally destroyed, with more than 90% of massive destruction. However, the Faculty of Medicine continued to work through the occupation of alternative buildings pending return to its original building on the right side of the city of Mosul on the banks of the Tigris River, God willing.